Green Swimming Pools
Green Pool Service Tips
How to turn a green pool blue again.
A nice blue swimming pool is all we’d ever want to see in our backyard, and have never been a really big fan of the “pond look” so if you are anything like us you kind of freak out when the pool turns green. No matter what caused it to turn into pea soup, it looks bad and needs to be fixed right away, but how..?
It is more science than magic, but believe what you want, we will turn the pool blue again almost overnight. Follow along and we will give you some tips to get your pool back in order and to hopefully keep it from turning green again.
Common Reasons Pool Turns Green
Based on the environment where the swimming pool is installed there can be many factors contributing to a pool turning green, but for the most part it boils down to attention and routine care to the pool on a regular basis. Here are some of the more common reasons a pool may turn green:
- Loss of care for more than 2 weeks
- Loss of power to pool equipment for an extended period of time
- Neglect of proper chemical administration
- Extreme deluge of flooding rain
- The pool filter has reached capacity / pool water circulation
Steps you can take for a green pool
In the unfortunate event your pool turns green, there are a few things that you can do to help the situation before the professionals show up to take care of turning it blue again. Only if you are familiar enough with the pool equipment should you apply the following steps or tips.
- You can move the filter selector port to “Bypass” and this will divert the water from the pool filter straight back to the pool. This will help to keep the filter from getting clogged with the green algae.
ALL POOL SYSTEMS
- If you have a cartridge pool filter you are going to need to clean it repeatedly.
- If possible keep the pool pump running 24/7 and add 2 – 4 chlorine tablets to the skimmer baskets.
- Brush the entire pool and / or spa, and all of the green spots.
- Use liquid pool shock to super chlorinate the pool after brushing.
- Balance the pH by testing and adjusting as needed.
If the green conditions of the pool do not improve by following the above steps repeated at least 2x then you will need the help of a professional Green to Clean Pool Service. In edxtreme cases some or all of the water inside of the swimming pool may need to be removed and start again with new water. In most cases you can turn your pool around in about 4 – 5 days, it just depends on many factors.
Here is a video from our pool service friends in California on how you can clear up a green pool
A green swimming pool can happen to the best of us, so whether you have returned from vacation to a green pool or inherited one one call can solve it all! We hope you have found some tips and advice in this post about cleaning a green swimming pool, but if you still have any questions we’d be glad to answer them for you!